Preserving the past - The granny square rug is returned to it's family
In my first blog about this blanket, I estimated that around 50 of the 312 squares needed repair or replacement and that it would take around 20 hours to complete. If I had just replaced damaged squares it may have been closer to this estimate, but I learned so much more by taking my time and repairing rather than replacing. So, in the end, it took me 56 hours to repair this blanket!
It has been an amazing experience. As many crafters know, there is a meditative side to delving into a project this deeply and I certainly benefitted from that.
Here I am working on the blanket
During my time working on this blanket, I feel like I have grown to know Florence a little bit better. The materials speak of preserving, upcycling, recycling - using the materials that she had available. The colours speak of an experienced eye - she wasn't just going to the shop and selecting from beautiful walls of colours like we do today but instead, taking the leftovers of jumpers and scarves and hats that she made and entwining them beautifully to create this heritage piece to be passed down through generations. The skill and consistency spoke of her attention to detail and care. I found her stitches difficult to replicate due to their size and consistency. I could almost feel the ease with which she would have executed them.
There were times that I did tire of the task, only being able to commit hours here and there when my business would allow meant that the process extended to months rather than weeks. Regular customers would drop in and ask with a smile if I had finished yet (knowing the answer would be no!) I started just want to get it finished!
While I have been working on the blanket I discovered the Repair Shop so sometimes I would pretend that I was a skilled Artesian bringing this beautiful piece back to life! I do not place myself in the same realm as these skilled craft people but it's nice to have an aspiration ????
As I approached the completion of the blanket I started to feel quite sentimental and even slowed down for the last couple of squares wanting to keep it with me for just that little bit longer.
And all at once it was done. I just had to create a border all the way around the edge in treble stitch to tie it all together. This part went much faster than I expected and suddenly there was the finished work.
I lay it out on the ground to photograph.
I emailed Roy to come and collect his beloved Nana’s blanket, which he first left with me almost a year ago. He was very excited to see it and headed straight down that morning. I gave it to him with some hesitation as it wasn't perfect, but I have done the best I could. I explained to Roy that I had to make decisions about when to replace and when to repair and that sometimes the yarn was broken or almost broken but I had chosen not to fix it because it meant I would have to replace the whole square and I wanted to leave remnants and memories and as much of the original work as I could. He was so happy! He loved it, and most of all he loved the fact that he's saved it and he proudly let me know that he hopes to pass it on to his niece.
I hope he's niece treasures it as much as Roy has I'm sure she will. What a wonderful thing to have in the family.